Pages

Monday, October 8, 2007

more frugal elegance

Some lovely things happened yesterday. Yes, it is good to know that life can still be wonderful even in the midst of an earwig and mouse plague.

The duck herder has discovered the most wonderful detangler/conditioner/brushing aid in the world! It is CHEAP as chips and fabulously effective.

I have been doing much research to wean myself off expensive hair products. Having long dark hair, prone to oily up top and dry at the ends, it has been a bit tricky. I have played around with bicarb shampoo - very effective - especially at the roosts - but perhaps a bit harsh on the ends. BUT still needing conditioner and have still tended to use detangling stuff - at $10 a pop! I have looked at the ingredients, and mused and wondered how to make my own.

After reading heaps of homemade chemical free shampoo recipes, it sounds like the secret is all in the apple cider vinegar rinse. Using a vinegar rinse apparently sorts out the ph of your hair, smoothing down the cuticles and getting rid of static.

Well, it WORKS!!!!!!

Using about 1 tablespoon on apple cider vinegar in a 200ml spray bottle, I sprayed it on my dry hair and got all excited about how easy it was to brush and get the knots out. The spray made my hair instantly soft and shiny. (hooray!) As promised by all the websites I have looked on, the vinegar smell disappeared as soon as the spray dried. The cider vinegar rinse works just a well if not better than all of the other sprays I have used over the years.

And then, after a few days I got very creative and added some lavender oil and some mandarin oil. It smells great! And I use it every time I brush my hair. (Which is quite often at the moment, because I am excited about this new clever product!)

In the mean time, I have ordered some castile soap, glycerin and other bits and pieces to experiment with making shampoos and conditioners without nasties.

It is very exciting! I HATE buying shampoo and conditioner. It is such a waste of $$, resources, packaging and they all have such awful chemicals in them.

So now I can be frugal AND vane!

Oh, and the other happy thing is that I have been thinking about buying a Fowler's Vacola Preserving Kit for some time - keeping an eye out for a second hand one, looking on ebay etc. Having coffee with my neighbours yesterday, we decided to SHARE one - so suddenly a new kit costs $75 instead of $150 and it can live in Sue's shed, where there is a bench and power and everything we need and we can use the money we saved to buy extra jars and well, it is all so elegant and clever!

We can have pasata parties!

3 comments:

Lucy C said...

Definately elegant and clever.
What is a pasata?

elia said...

(coming out of lurk...)

Love the endorsement of the ACV rinse! I've been using baking soda instead of shampoo all summer, and very happy with it, having a similar problem of oily scalp. Buuuut...now I am growing my hair out again from quite short, and have had to compromise and use conditioner once a week. I also hate buying it - since I have to get more vinegar tomorrow to can some dilly beans (yum) I will get enough and experiment with it on my own hair. Phooey on the beauty industry, I say.

The Duck Herder said...

Hello there Lucy C (new duckie mother!) and welcome out of lurkdome elia!

Hee hee. Now I have added a bit of glycerin to my super spray on leave in hair conditioner. - perhaps a bit too much, but I think I am getting very clever now!

Pasata for you dear Lucy C - is classic Italian tomato sauce that normally comes in glass jars at the supermarket. OFten is it just cooked tomatoes plus salt and sugar and perhaps a bay leaf. Oh, sauce as in a base for zillions of pasta sauces etc, not sauce as in on your snags.

Traditionally, you get all your Italian neighbours and family together to drink lots, eat heaps, dance some and communally make tonnes of pasata in huge pots outside in the autumn sun with your collective tomato harvest.

This is a fun way to make sure that everyone has enough pasata to last through a winter of spag bols and various other yummy comfort foods that require a tomato base.

Cool huh.

Let us know if that other duck egg hatches!