Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Stories and Presents


A few weeks back I was passing the Cougar (aka Pa Kettle, Mountain Man etc) an apple muffin and without thinking proceeded to tell him about how the apples were from Robin in Bungendore's ancient old apple tree and how the flour was biodynamic spelt flour from wherever, and how the fig jam, if you would like some, is from Carolyn across the road and she has the most lovely tree and this and that until the Cougar laughed and said "that's the thing with you duckie, everything you eat has got a story" and you know, he's RIGHT and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Mr Duck Herder teases me sometimes saying "It is just food" when I present him with some home grown gift from the gods bounty lovingly prepared with an assortment of other carefully chosen or lovingly gifted ingredients. And you know, he's WRONG.
Food that is grown with love and prepared with love IS love.
And when you think about it, living a more elegantly frugal life creates a million opportunities to slow down and be more fully present, and when you are fully present, your life is unimaginably full of PRESENTS!
Now if you will excuse me, I am off to have another cup of tea and some more freshly baked bread with some of Arthur's amazing grapefruit marmalade.
that is all

3 comments:

Eilleen said...

oh this is so wonderful! Its the stories that makes the whole thing so joyous. THANK YOU for sharing. I hope one day that I too will be able to have such a wonderful network to contribute to.

Rhonda Jean said...

Hello Duckie, happy Sunday!

You're right, it IS love. How horrible to have to live on white sliced bread and Nutella (or store bought jam, peanut butter or that yellow dyed lemon spread). Their story is "profit", nothinig else. I prefer my story to hold the words taste, delicious, friends, Mrs so and so up the road, cooked in a big old pot, my friut, and a million other home-cobbled things.

I LOVE your purple rug too. It's beautiful ... just like you.

The Duck Herder said...

Hello rhonda jean and eilleen!

hee hee - ranting to the converted - I LOVE IT!

much love and many thanks to two of my biggest inspirations!