Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

God Help my Swap Partner

OK, so the duck has not sewn for over, um, lets see, 41 minus 18, that's 23 years. Now, my beloved sister moved to the dark dank cold isle (Tasmania) about a year ago and left me her beloved dutiful Elna sewing machine.

Anyhoo I signed up for Down to Earth's Apron swap seems 1) I got so much joy out of the dishcloth swap and 2) I would really like to learn how to sew seems I have enough lovely pink chair fabric left over to make a spiffy skirt and 3) I now have in my possession a much loved functional basic but dependable sewing machine with a proven track record.

I mane REALLY, how hard could it be?

  Harder than we might think.

My poor swap buddy. I apologize in advance.
Lucky I decided to do some practice.

I mean, I got HALF the bias binding on OK. That is DUCK binding don't you know. The other half I put on the wrong side....then I was having problems with the tension.....and lets face it, I am a gumby.

I then found this gorgeous tutorial. This is about the cutest.



Thank you angry chicken.

So, dear Swap Buddy, let me ASSURE you this is a PRACTICE, and I will KEEP PRACTICING until I create something worthy of sending you!













5 comments:

alison@thisbloominglife said...

I considered signing up but decided my distinct lack of skill was too much of a hinderance. How I would love a gorgeous apron though! Looking pretty good to me, can't wait to see what you pull off.

seepi said...

binding is really hard. I'd go gorgeous fabric and lovely pockets and straps and just fold the edges over and sew them flat - forget the binding.

The Duck Herder said...

Hi Alison! hmmmm, well, hopefully I can pull it together...nothing like a deadline and a committement to help me pull my finger out......

Hi seepi......good suggestion.....I seem to be struggling with just doing flat edges at the moment too, the stitches are looking all funny....but perhaps I need to check I have the bobbin in right......and play more with the tension.....

its all good though! I think I definitely need thicker binding...... I love the idea of using the binding as the straps...it looks so neat...

thanks for your suggestions!

sherdie said...

You're so clever and stuff, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You might check your Google search "how to attach Bias tape" in you tube...many you tube videos to watch until you have success!Clear instruction.."Nancy Zeiman":)