Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

goodbye Mrs Thatcher hello.....?

Well. It is done. Mrs Thatcher has been located and dispatched. That nice girl from Bathurst has been introduced. Fingers crossed she will be accepted.

Body Count - quite a few squished bees and three stings (none on me!)


In other news, behold the FIRST HONEY HARVEST. While performing open heart surgery in the hive looking for Mrs Thatcher I could not resist pinching one frame of honey.

Here is a picture of the capped honey. Because I didn't use foundation, all the wax is freshly made and chemical free - so it is immanently suitable for eating. The little dark cells have pollen in them.


I cut of some strips of honey comb and popped them in jars. I know Pa Duck Herder is especially fond of honey comb.

The rest I mashed up into a strainer so the honey could separate from the comb.

And here is my high tech honey harvester - a strainer held over a bowl in a saucepan.


Golly Gosh. Yum Yum.

4 comments:

DianeLynn said...

That is so cool...makes me wanna have a bee hive too!

WeekendFarmer said...

yum!! Do you feel the honey taste 'mild'? Ours tasted so mild.

I want some of those combs...I wish you were closer : )

Anonymous said...

YUM! That honey looks delicious!

The Duck Herder said...

Hello lovely bloggy friends. Diane it is just amazing! They are so beautiful and if I can learn how to play bees I am double sure you could too. I feel so bad about killing off Mrs Thatcher though. Eventhough they were so very strong and productive - she was getting very violent and naughty! And Mr Weekend Farmer and Sherdie - the honey is LOVELY. It is mainly apple box (a type of eucalypt Mr Farmer) with some black locust as well - which I think is a common honey in the US? These are the trees that have been flowering over the past month and which the bees have been working really hard.