- 7 small (1 kg) green cucumbers sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarse cooking salt
Garlic Mustard Vinegar:
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white mustard seeds (I used black)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- (also, I added some dill seeds)
Combine cucumbers and salt in large bowl, cover, stand 24 hours.
Rinse cucumbers under cold water; drain. Pack slices into large sterilised jar, cover completely with garlic mustard vinegar, seal. (I keep the jar in the fridge - and waited a week before tasting)
Garlic Mustard Vinegar: Combine vinegars, water, sugar, seeds and garlic in saucepan. Stir over heat. without boiling until sugar is dissolved. cool.
Recipe adapted from "The Book of Preserves", put out by the Australian Woman's Weekly.