Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Autumn Plantings

Managed to get the carrot and onion seeds in this afternoon. I have never had much success with carrots, but hopefully this year will be different. In other years, the seedlings have been swamped by weeds. I have spend about a month preparing this bed - clearing off the mulch, watering and giving the remaining seed bank a chance to germinate, then raking the weed seedlings back in.



Prior to putting the seeds in, I soaked them for a day in damp compost and seaweed to give them a bit of a head start. I have planted Red Cored Chantenays in the bed closest, and Denvers at the back. The onions sprinkled thorough the mix are Gladalans with a small amount of Creamgolds from an out of date packet thrown just in case they were still ok.

It all feels a bit hard to judge how much seed to use. If all goes well, there should be about 5 square meters of Chantenays and 3 1/2 square meters of Denvers.

The beds are covered with shade cloth to keep them from drying out. I expect they will need watering twice a day for the next couple of weeks until they germinate. Will let you know how they go........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh. That looks great! I'll be keen to follow your progress. I've put some in but typical me - not very successful. When I get out of my doldrums I'll post to let you know.

The Duck Herder said...

Hi Melissa

Good luck with your carrot patch too! I had a little check under the covers last night - and for a patch of carrot seeds, there seems to be a aweful lot of silver beet coming up! :o)